Create a Study Schedule

WHY CREATE A STUDY SCHEDULE?

Planning creates freedom. You may say, me? Plan? No way. I don't want to be up tight. I don't want to lose my spontaneity. I want to be free. One way to feeling calm, peaceful, powerful and free is to have a plan. Often when you are worried and hassled it is because you don't have a plan.

Planning frees you from constant decisions. Having a study schedule makes it easier to plan guilt free time to spend with your friends rather than constantly deciding whether to study or to play.

Planning and action create your life. Planning alone is ineffective. Nothing in our lives changes without action. The value of planning is that it promotes actions that we consciously choose.

HOW MUCH SHOULD I STUDY?

1. Classify your courses as light, average, or difficult.
  2. Write the credit hours of each course next to your classification and multiply by the number below.
    Light X 2 =      Average X 3 =      Difficult X 4 =
  3. Typically, this is the amount of study time needed for each type of course weekly.
  4. Total all hours. This is the recommended hours of study per week.

WHAT SHOULD I PUT IN A STUDY SCHEDULE?

1. First fill in all time slots that stay the same from week to week (i.e. classes, meetings/church, meal times, and social activities).
  2. Fill in your ideal time for going to bed and getting up.
  3. Schedule in specific study times for specific courses.
  4. Set realistic goals. Leave "me time" in your schedule.

Time Log 

Used with permission from Trish Baum, Resource Coordinator of Academic Support Programs, Baylor University.

“Baylor University ||| Time Management.” Academic Support Programs | Baylor University. Accessed November 5, 2015. http://www.baylor.edu/support_programs/index.php?id=42444.