Rhodes proudly supports outstanding academic achievement through these prestigious academic honor societies andannual academic awards ceremony each spring.
Eta Sigma Phi
- National classic languages fraternity promoting interest in all aspects of Greek and Roman literature, art, and life
- Eligibility: at least a B average in advanced courses in either Greek or Latin
- Established: 1952
Iota Iota Iota
- National honor society that recognizes academic excellence in the field of Gender and Sexuality Studies while striving to maintain the feminist values central to Gender and Sexuality Studies: egalitarianism, inclusiveness, and a celebration of the diversity of women′s experiences. Iota Iota Iota works to promote an interest in Gender and Sexuality Studies and research in social problems affecting all women.
- Eligibility: six hours in Gender and Sexuality Studies courses with a 3.0 average or above
- Chi Chapter chartered: 2004. First induction of 19 charter members, April 29, 2004.
- National honor society for seniors recognizing eminence in scholarship, leadership, and service
- Rhodes chapter established: 1964
- Downloadable nomination form (pdf)
National Order of Omega
- Recognizes outstanding members of fraternities and sororities on the basis of scholarship and leadership
- Eligibility: rising juniors and seniors members with GPA equal to or above the all-Greek average
- Theta Nu chapter chartered: 1987
Omicron Delta Epsilon
- International Economics Honor Society recognizing scholastic excellence in economics and establishing closer ties between students and faculty within and between participating colleges
- Eligibility: juniors and seniors making economics one of their major interests, at least 12 hours of coursework in economics, at least a 3.50 average in all economics courses, and in the top third of their class
- Rhodes chapter (Theta Chapter of Tennessee) established: 1979
Omicron Delta Kappa
- National organization recognizing junior and senior leadership in activities for the good of the college - such as scholarship, athletics, and publications
- Eligibility: No more than 3% of the student body may be elected to membership
- Phi Circle established: 1927
- International honor society in History promoting the study of history through the encouragement of research, good teaching, publication, and the exchange of learning and thought among historians; bringing students, teachers, and writers of history together both intellectually and socially; and encouraging and assisting historical research and publication by its members
- Rhodes chapter established: 1990
- Eligibility: Students who have completed the required number of history hours while maintaining high standards in all of their academic studies
- For over 200 years, election (by the current local chapter membership) to Phi Beta Kappa has recognized exceptional academic achievement in the liberal arts and sciences.
- Rhodes is one of only 283 colleges and universities in the nation to be awarded a chapter of this prestigious honor society.
- Rhodes Chapter (Gamma Chapter of Tennessee) established: 1949
Pi Kappa Lambda
- Honorary academic music fraternity recognizing outstanding achievement in music
- Eligibility: Only up to 20% of seniors majoring in music may be elected
- Established: 1949
- National honorary society in Psychology affiliated with the American Psychological Association and a member of the Association of College Honor Societies; encourages excellence in scholarship and advances the science of Psychology as a profession
- Eligibility: Psychology majors by invitation
- Rhodes chapter reactivated: 1987
- National honor society that stimulates scholarship and intelligent interest in political science.
- The Rhodes chapter hosts on-campus debates and panels about politics.
- The national Pi Sigma Alpha organization sponsors programs and events of value to the profession and teaching of political science.
Sigma Iota Rho
- National honor society in International Studies recognizing academic excellence and promoting study of contemporary international issues
- Eligibility: sophomores or greater with a 3.2 cumulative GPA and a 3.3 GPA within their major
- Rhodes chapter (Theta Chapter) established: 1986
Sigma Pi Sigma
- National physics honor society
- Eligibility: physics students and a limited number from closely related fields when such students attain high standards of scholarship, professional merit, and academic distinction
- Rhodes chapter established: 1963
- National English honor society promoting and recognizing outstanding achievement in the study of literature
- Rhodes chapter established: 1984