All Gender Rest Rooms
Approximately 30 single-occupancy rest rooms across campus are classified as "All Gender Restrooms." A Campus Map with the locations of the All Gender Restrooms is located here (PDF), and also in the LGBTQ Resources' "Related Documents" drop down list.
Rhodes Restroom Policy:
Rhodes Community Members have the right to use restrooms that correspond with their sex or gender identity.
Rhodes' systems permit the following courses of actions:
Preferred Name: Students can change their preferred names in Banner as they wish. Rhodes is able to use the preferred name in the graduation ceremony and on the student’s diploma. If a student merely changes their preferred name (without going through legal processes), Rhodes is unable to recognize that name change in any official capacity (i.e., in Clearinghouse reports, class rosters, transcripts, or other official documents, which will continue to reflect the legal name).
Official Name and Sex: Students can change their official names and sex in Banner as follows:
- Official changes to student names and gender must be based on official documentation of those changes, since changes to official name or sex within the Rhodes’ system without having made the same change(s) with the government can lead to problems with financial aid, tax forms, and other legal documents.
- Students must provide a copy of the documentation for the College’s files. Documentation should be sent to the Registrar; the changes are then processed in Data Services.
- The College’s official data will reflect students’ legal status.
Residence Life Statement
Transgender or gender non-conforming students may contact the Director of Residence Life, Marianne Luther. Residence Life works with students on a case-by-case basis to meet students' individual needs.
Contact: email@example.com or (901) 843-3241.
Trans Health In Memphis
Psychology Today's List of Therapists for Transsexual Clients in Memphis: "Counseling for transgender issues in Memphis can help those considering a transgendered life or transgender relationship, or family members coming to understand the life of their transgendered child or sibling."
Perpetual Transitions, with Memphis Gay and Lesbian Community Center: "A support and social group for transgender people in the Memphis metropolitan area."
Choices: "Choices is proud to provide comprehensive, non-judgmental sexual and reproductive health services to everyone, including the LGBTQ community."
- Get Help Now: Transgender people in crisis should contact The Trevor Project's 24/7 Lifeline at 866-4-U-TREVOR (866-488-7386), Trevor Chat, the Trevor Projects' online messaging service, or The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
- Department of Education Resources - Know Your Rights
- GLAAD's Transgender 101 Site: "What does 'Transgender' mean?"
- GLAAD's Tips for Allies of Transgender People: "When you become an ally of transgender people, your actions will help change the culture..."
- We Happy Trans: "A place for sharing positive perspectives about trans people from around the world."
- Tennessee Transgender Political Coalition (Facebook): The Tennessee Transgender Political Coalition is an organization designed to educate and advocate on behalf of transgender related legislation at the Federal, State, and local levels. The Coalition is dedicated to raising public awareness and building alliances with other organizations concerned with equal rights legislation.