How Difficulty Opened a New Door

When I started college I was pre-vet major.  I loved animals and didn’t know what else to do with that interest. Also, it was easy to visualize a career that fell in my sphere of everyday knowledge.  After all, we’ve all seen T.V. shows about doctors, lawyers, etc.   My problem with the pre-vet coursework was taking the chemistry courses.  I always struggled with chemistry and could not understand it down in my bones the way I could get biology. 

Here’s something I never thought I would admit publicly.  When I was taking Inorganic Chemistry, each exam had an essay question that I usually couldn’t understand very well, so I would write something and stop in the middle of a sentence.  Even if I finished the exam ahead of time, I would wait and be one of the last people turning it in.  I was hoping that the professor would think I ran out of time and was forced to stop right in the middle of explaining the answer, rather than see that I didn’t know what to say.  Looking back, I’m sure I fooled no one.  In spite of this, I took the required pre-vet courses without really thinking about what I was doing until I got to Organic II.  The course met three times a week for lecture and had two required labs, so I was spending nine hours a week in it and I hated it.  All I could think about was if I dropped Organic II, I could use all that time to take two upper-level Biology courses in subjects I loved. 

When I finally decided to do that, I had to give up my plan of vet school.  It was scary because I didn’t know what else I would do, and flipping around the T.V. channels to see what other careers were featured wasn’t helpful.  On the other hand, I can still remember how wonderful it felt to leave Organic and enroll in the Biology courses I wanted.  I was still in lab for hours, but it didn’t matter because everything I was learning and doing was so exciting.  I think my passion for biology was evident to my professors because one of them asked me to be a peer tutor and I was later hired to teach a lab section.   That was when I realized how much I loved teaching, and that I wanted to pursue a career that would allow me to share my joy in biology.  

As I began the path that led to a Ph.D., my family was somewhat supportive, but they didn’t really get it.  “If you like biology anyway, why don’t you just become a doctor?” was the question I was asked most often.   As if the two things were the same!  Neither my parents, nor my many aunts, uncles or cousins had attended a four year college, and while my parents were proud of my education, my extended family was stunned that I would willingly subject myself to additional years of schooling after graduation.  Of course, they didn’t understand that the “years of schooling” in a Ph.D. program are vastly different from the typical routines of high school and college classwork leading up to graduate school.  As a college professor, I feel as though I am living out my dreams, even though they are quite different from the dreams I had when I started college.  For me, a difficult experience really did open a new door.

Carolyn Jaslow, Biology