Quick Reference FAQs for Faculty

Counseling Center Pass/Fail Courses
Course Load & Credits F1 Requirement
Accessibility Concerns Sexual Misconduct
Foundation Requirements Transfer Credit
Grades & Repeating a Course Withdraw from a Class
Office of Inclusion & Involvement Withdraw from College

Making Referrals to the Counseling Center

When – and how – do I encourage a student to seek assistance from the Counseling Center?
Advisers aren't expected to be therapists. If you are concerned about a student, the staff of the Student Counseling Center (x3128) will be glad to talk with you and to recommend appropriate next steps.  If you have any urgent concerns about a student’s safety at any time, contact Campus Safety and/or the Dean of Students immediately. If concerns arise during regular office hours. you are welcome to accompany a student to the Counseling Center for a Same Day/Crisis Evaluation. If your concerns arise after regular office hours, contact the Student Counseling Center after-hours number (x3128) to speak with a mental health professional about the situation and your concerns.  Do not wait until the following day.  For more information see the article in Section D titled “Identifying and Referring Troubled Students: A Primer for Academic Advisors.”  

Why can't the counselors let me know if a student has contacted them?
Confidentiality Confidentiality laws don't permit counselors to acknowledge whether or not a client is being seen. However, you can ask the student to follow up with you after he or she meets with a counselor to apprise you of progress or necessary action. Depending on the nature of the problem and on your relationship with the student, you may ask the student if they would be willing to give the counselor written consent to talk with you directly to facilitate continued support around initial presenting concern.  

May I call the counselors for suggestions on working with students?
Yes. The staff of the Center is available to evaluate the significance of unusual behavior, to discuss options to help students who experience emotional or behavioral problems, and to review the procedure for referring students in crisis to the Counseling Center. Feel free to call Counseling Center staff at x3128 for consultation regarding a specific student concern.   

<go to top>

Course Load and Credits for Graduation

How many credits are needed for graduation?
128 credits are required for the Bachelor’s degree.

What′s a typical load for a first-year student?
17 – 19 credits. In a student’s first semester, a full schedule is 4 courses + First Year Experience Seminar (17 credits). First-year students may take up to three additional credits (e.g., first year experience seminar, applied music instruction) each semester of the first year. 

What′s the minimum load to be considered full-time?
To be considered a full-time student and to be eligible to live in the residence halls, a student must be enrolled in 12 credits.

In what other instances does it matter if a student is considered full-time?
Full-time status impacts affects eligibility for financial aid and intercollegiate athletics. In some cases, full-time status is necessary for a student to remain on a parent′s health or auto insurance.

How is financial aid affected?
Rhodes scholarships, fellowships and grants are provided only to students enrolled full-time (at least 12 credits) as of the last day of the extended drop period. After the drop/add period has ended, if a student withdraws from a course, the aid for that semester is not affected. However, the student receiving financial aid should be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP); i.e., a first-year student must earn at least 28 credits in order to receive aid as a second-year student; AP credit does not factor into earned credit.

Note: See the Financial Aid section of the College Catalogue for more information.

How is a full-time student′s status affected if the student withdraws from a class or classes during the semester?
If the student was enrolled in at least 12 credits at the beginning of the fourth week of the semester, the College considers that student to be full-time regardless of whether the student′s course load falls below 12 credits because of withdrawals.

Note Important Exceptions:

1. Students participating in varsity athletics must be enrolled in at least 12 credits for the duration of the semester.  

2. Students who receive the Hope scholarship must remain enrolled in at least 12 credits for the duration of the semester or risk loss of the scholarship. An appeals process is available, and students with a TELS award should consult with the Office of Financial Aid for more information.

What constitutes an overload and an underload?
An overload is 20 or more credits. An underload is less than 12 credits and is considered part-time. Registration for fewer than 12 or more than 19 credits by a full-time student must be approved in advance by the Standards and Standing Committee. Students will be charged an additional fee for every credit over 19 for which they are enrolled. First-year students are not permitted to take an overload during their first year of attendance.  Additionally, it is not advisable for a first-year student to request an underload.

Accessibility Concerns 

What do I do if a student tells me they have a disability? 
Listen to what the student has to say; then ask if the student has connected with the Office of Student Accessibility Services (SAS). If the answer is no, refer the student to the SAS website to complete the accommodation request process. Accommodations are not provided retroactively, so it is important for students to register with SAS in a timely manner.   

Students with SAS-approved academic accommodations will receive electronic course accessibility letters at the beginning of each semester which they can share and discuss with their faculty on an individual basis and in private. Faculty are only obligated to provide accommodations to registered students with disabilities who have provided their SAS accessibility letters and who have met to discuss details related to the provision of their approved accommodations. It is important to note that accessibility letters do not specify diagnoses, so students maintain the option of disclosing their disability only to those professors or individuals they wish to inform. 

If you suspect a student may have a learning disability or a condition that impacts academic functioning, please encourage the student to schedule an appointment with SAS to discuss possible resources, strategies and accommodation options. 


In what ways can I provide assistance to a student with a disability? 
If a student has disclosed having a disability, there are several steps you can take to enhance the student's chance of academic success.  

  • Be supportive. Sometimes students with nonapparent disabilities (e.g., learning/attentional disorders, mental health conditions, chronic health impairments) are concerned that there may be a stigma attached to their condition. Reassure students that Rhodes' staff and faculty are interested in their well-being and will work with them to implement appropriate accommodations. Refer students to Student Accessibility Services (x3815) for accommodations or to the Student Counseling Center (x3128) for assistance in dealing with the emotional aspects of their conditions. 

  • Help the student design a well-balanced schedule. Start by asking the student what types of schedule or classes cause them the most challenges. Encourage them to describe their perceived strengths and weaknesses so you can help them design a reasonable schedule. General tips: 

  • Do not schedule too many classes back-to-back and avoid too many longer (Tuesday/Thursday) classes for students who have difficulty sustaining attention and/or who have medication issues or significant side effects which impact performance at certain times of day. 

  • Schedule an assortment of elective and required courses each term, rather than too many core courses in one semester. 

  • Recommend courses with small enrollments whenever possible so that the student receives more individual attention. 

  • Follow up. Schedule a follow-up appointment or encourage your advisee to report back to you. 

What types of accommodations are made for students with disabilities, and who decides what is appropriate? 
The Office of Student Accessibility Services determines reasonable accommodations on an individual, case-by-case basis. Students must self-identify and complete the accommodation request process.  

Types of accommodations include: academic accommodations, dietary accommodations, housing accommodations, service & emotional support animals, and temporary disability services. 

What additional support resources are available for my advisees with disabilities? 

  • Campus Access Resources:  Visit this site to report an access barrier, view the campus map with accessibility guide, Lynx Cart information, and accessible parking permit details.  

  • Laser Coaching:  Free weekly group sessions focused on improving executive functioning skills and mapping out a detailed plan for each week. Led by Ben Boeving, ADHD coach. Diagnosis not required. 

  • Private ADHD Coaching:  Private one-on-one coaching sessions, for an additional fee, with a professional ADHD coach. Diagnosis not required. Contact Ben Boeving at 901-848-3350, boevingb@rhodes.edu

  • Testing Room:  Students with approved SAS test accommodations may use this optional non-proctored, distraction-limited, fob-access space in 303 Barret Library. Students must use the online Testing Room Appointment link to schedule each test time. Testing Room information is included at the end of all SAS course accessibility letters. 

  • Assistive Technology:  All Rhodes students, faculty, and staff are welcome to use the following assistive technologies at no charge.  

  • The SensusAccess tool converts PDFs and other digital materials into alternative formats.  

  • The Kurzweil Learning Software supports the concept of Universal Design for Learning and includes text-to-speech, speech-to-text, reading, studying, and writing tools. 

What resources are available on campus to help me learn more about students with disabilities? 
For additional information, resources, and best practices, visit the SAS website or click the “Accessibility” button on the top left side of express.rhodes.edu. For consultations and questions, contact the Office of Student Accessibility Services at x3815 or accessibilityservices@rhodes.edu.    


<go to top>

Foundation Requirements

For detailed information, refer to the College Catalogue: https://catalog.rhodes.edu/educational-program/foundations-curriculum

What is the purpose of the Foundation requirements?

  • To direct students into courses that cover a broad range of human inquiry and creativity.
  • To provide students with a variety of approaches to exploring, analyzing, and appreciating the world around them.

What do these Foundation requirements look like?

  • There are twelve requirements. Three of these require up to three courses to complete. Eight of these require only one course. The remaining one is a citizenship requirement is fulfilled through the successful completion of a first-year seminar at Rhodes.
  • Each Foundation requirement is expressed as a description of what a student should be experiencing and learning in these courses. Courses from a variety of departments will fulfill each requirement. 

How should a student fit the Foundation requirements into their schedule?

  • By the end of the second year, most students should have completed the following requirements:
    • Search, Life, or Cultural Knowledge (F1) -- This requirement is satisfied by completing a set of two coordinated courses at the 100-level (e.g., 101, 102) and one course at the 200-level or higher. The first two courses must be completed during the first year and the second course must also fulfil the F2i. The third course at the 200-level or higher must be completed after the first year.
    • Writing requirements (F2) -- This requirement will be satisfied by one writing seminar (taken in the first year) and two writing intensive courses, one of which will be in the 2nd semester of the first year F1 sequence.
    • Foreign language (F10) -- Language classes may be completed later than the end of the second year.
    • Citizenship(F12) -- To be completed during the first semester.
  • Students can fulfill many of the other Foundations requirements by completing requirements for their major and/or minor. For example,
    • As a Music major or minor, a student would be able to fulfill all or part of the following requirements: F2, F3, F5, F9.
    • As a Political Science major, a student would be able to fulfill all or part of the following requirements: F2, F8, F11.
  • Many of the other Foundation requirements can be fulfilled as a student pursues current interests and explores other areas of interest. Students should be encouraged to choose their courses on the basis of interests, curiosity, and long-term plans.

May a course fulfill more than one Foundation requirement?

  • Yes. A single course may fulfill up to two Foundation requirements. As an example, Art 151 Survey of Western Art fulfills both F3 (Historical Forces) and F5 (Artistic Expression).
  • There is no limit on the number of times a student may “double dip” to fulfill foundation requirements.

Will transfer credit count towards Foundation requirements?

  • Transfer credit will not fulfill Foundation requirements for matriculated students. However, transfer credit may be used to fulfill elective credits or credits toward the major. Approval of the appropriate department chair is required.
  • Students who enter the College with transfer credit (transfer students or dual enrollment students) may use transfer credit to satisfy Foundation requirements under the following guidelines:
    • Courses presented with two or three semester hours or less than six quarter hours will be given the appropriate and corresponding number of credits of transfer credit.
    • Credit from several courses may be combined to total four or more credits and therefore satisfy a foundation requirement.
    • A three-credit course may be used to satisfy a foundation requirement if the corresponding course in the department meets that same requirement.
    • A three-credit course may be used to satisfy a major requirement if the corresponding course in the department meets that same requirement unless specifically disallowed by the department chair.

Will AP/IB credit count toward Foundation requirements?

Only in some instances. As a general rule, Foundation requirements may not be met with Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate credit. Refer to the 2023 Advanced Placement credit equivalencies for further details.

<go to top>

Grades and Repeating a Course

When may a student repeat a course and what affect does it have on the GPA?

Any student who has received a grade of D-, D, or D+ in a course may repeat the course for a higher grade. No additional credit may be earned when repeating a course for a higher grade. Any student who has failed a course may repeat the course for credit.

The credits attempted and the grade points earned for each attempt of the course are included in the calculation of the student’s major grade point average and cumulative grade point average. However, only one failure of a course will be calculated in the grade point averages.

It is not always beneficial for a student to repeat a course in order to raise the GPA; a new grade in a repeated course that is below the student′s GPA will actually lower the GPA, not raise it.

When is it appropriate for a student to discuss the grade of incomplete with a professor?

The grade of X (incomplete) may be requested by a student who is unable to complete coursework because of circumstances beyond their reasonable control (e.g., illness, injury, incapacitation, or other emergency).

The appropriate form for the submission of the X grade must be submitted to the Registrar by the student and the professor by the deadline for the submission of final grades. All unfinished work must be completed and submitted to the course instructor before the first day of classes in the student's next term of enrollment (fall, spring, or summer).


<go to top>

Office of Equity & Engagement

What is the Office of Equity & Engagement?

The Office of Equity & Engagement advocates for the promotion of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive educational experience, providing students the space and resources to develop and thrive in preparation for the pursuit of lifelong learning. The office provides support for historically marginalized communities on campus and works collaboratively to enhance the student experience by focusing on retention, programming, leadership development, and diversity education aimed at fostering a sense of belonging. Jazmine Rodriguez serves as the Dean for Equity & Engagement and is located in Burrow Hall, Room 401. 

How do I support students from underrepresented populations who are having a hard time adjusting to campus life?

  • If a student is having a hard time socially adjusting to campus life, Equity & Engagement can help them set up an Engagement Consultation with the Office of Student Engagement to discuss their extra-curricular journey and their interests. Equity & Engagement supports the following student groups:
    • African Student Association (ASA)
    • Africana Women Supporting Ourselves and Maintaining Excellence (A.W.S.O.M.E.)
    • All Students Interested in Asia (ASIA) 
    • Black Student Association (BSA) 
    • Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA) 
    • Latinx Student Association (LSA)
    • Men of Distinction
    • Middle Eastern Student Association (MESA)
    • Womxn of Determination
    • Valuing Our Impact on The Cultural Experiences of Students (VOICES)

If the student is struggling academically, contact the Director of Academic & Learning Resources, Jennifer Soler-Rodriguez, or a member of the Student Success Team (x3815) to get individual assistance with academic support or tutorial services. Depending upon the students’ needs they can also access Counseling@Rhodes.edu  (x3128) for mental health support services.

In what ways can I provide assistance to students from historically marginalized communities?

The classroom experience has the ability to open a student to the possibilities of engaging their peers and the larger Rhodes community or polarizing students particularly from historically marginalized communities. Below are some suggestions for ways to support an inclusive learning environment for students:

  • Avoid sweeping generalizations about students and their backgrounds.  
  • While experiential knowledge is valuable to classroom discussions, use caution and when possible, avoid singling out one person in the class who belongs to a group under discussion. Instead, ask their opinion or ask for them to represent their group on this topic.
  • Allow students to share as much or as little about their identities as they feel comfortable. Accept what they share as truth and respect and celebrate them as individuals.
  • Share your pronouns, role modeling pronoun usage for students. Address students by their preferred names and use the pronouns they share.

If you are unsure how to approach a challenging conversation, you can reach out to Dean Rodriguez or a trusted colleague to seek advice. 

<go to top>

Adviser Communication with Parents

FERPA restricts the type of information that advisers can share with outside parties, including parents. All non-directory information is considered confidential and cannot be shared with an outside party unless the student has submitted a signed consent form to release educational records to a specific authorized individual(s). Before speaking with a parent, please call Student Life (x3815) or the Registrar’s Office (x3885) to confirm that a current FERPA release is on file.

If the parent of an advisee calls you:

  • Listen to concerns; solicit information to better understand the concerns.
  • Provide information about policies, procedures, processes, and resources as appropriate. 
  • Assist the parent in understanding that your preference is to work directly with the student in order to maintain an effective adviser-advisee relationship. As appropriate, offer suggestions on how the parent can help the student self-advocate.
  • Enlist the parent’s help in getting the student to contact the adviser and other faculty or staff.
  • Do not promise confidentiality. If there is any concern of harm to the student or others, immediately contact the Counseling Center (x3128) or Student Life Office (x3815).
  • Don’t disclose information if you are in doubt. Refer the parent to another office as appropriate.
  • Document your conversation in order to improve accountability and continuity.

For additional information, see FERPA in General Advising Information.


<go to top>

Pass / Fail Courses

How many pass-fail courses may a student take?

A student may enroll in a class on a pass-fail basis with the permission of the instructor. No more than one course per semester with a maximum of six courses total is permitted. Courses that are graded pass-fail only do not count against that limitation. The Pass/Fail option may not be used in courses taken to satisfy foundation requirements with the exception of F11 and may not be used for courses taken to satisfy major or minor requirements including cognate courses.

The student wishing to take a course on a pass-fail basis must determine from the instructor the letter grade equivalent and the requirements for a grade of Pass. The pass-fail form with the instructor’s signature must be returned to Rhodes Express during the first eleven weeks of class in a semester.

Courses with grades of Pass count neither for nor against a student in the computation of grade point averages, but a failing grade is computed in the grade point averages.

<go to top>

F1 Requirement

F1 Overview for Advisors 

What are Life, Search, Cultural Knowledge, and History through the Bible?

These programs are three-semester sequences of courses in Foundational Humanities that begins in the first semester of the first year emphasizing the development of critical thinking skills through careful textual analysis, clear and effective writing, and active discussion with peers.

LIFE: Then and Now. Religious Studies 101-102-200-level

In the first year, the program:

  • Introduces students to the academic study of the Bible and the traditions of interpretation and reflection based upon it.  Students examine representative texts from the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament and the New Testament in order to understand the Bible's foundational and continuing role in shaping various historical, cultural, and theological phenomena in modern society.
  • Examines the development of theological issues in religious traditions from the early and medieval periods through to the 21st century.
  • Is taught by members of the Religious Studies department.

In the second year, the program:

  • Focuses on particular areas of the study of religion and philosophy, such as a biblical book or corpus(e.g., the letters of Paul), biblical archaeology, sex and gender in the Bible, the letters of Paul, early Christian literature, Holocaust, Islam, religions of Asia, medieval philosophy, ethics, and contemporary theology.
  • Is taught by members of the Religious Studies, Philosophy, and Ancient Mediterranean Studies departments.

The student who chooses LIFE: Then and Now will:

  • Take Religious Studies 101 (RELS 101) in the Fall semester of the first year,
  • Take Religious Studies 102 (RELS 102) in the Spring semester of the first year, and
  • Take a third designated Life course at any time in the remaining three years of the student’s college career.

The Search for Values in the Light of Western History & Religion. Humanities 101-102-201

  • Students and their professors engage in a rigorous and sustained examination of vital questions about the nature and purpose of life arising from relationships of human beings to the natural world, to their own immediate communities and those of other societies, and to the artifacts of human culture. This examination requires interrogating specific, seminal texts in the intellectual traditions from the Near East, Mediterranean, and Europe, which local, regional, and super-regional religions, including Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, influenced. The courses also place diverse contemporary voices and perspectives in conversation with the historically transformative texts. Students will see how these texts often speak directly to each other and in many cases radically critique the very traditions, out of which they emerged, and which continue to shape cultures and institutions of the modern world. 

  • These courses provide "a sound and comprehensive Bible education" in conformity with the stipulations of a bequest from the Bellingrath-Morse Foundation in 1950. Several texts that students read in the first year are themselves integral parts of the biblical canon, which includes the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament, but many of the other readings contribute to the historical context of biblical texts, illustrate their reception in cultures beyond those of their earliest audiences, and convey values and ideas that contradict and elucidate biblical perspectives. For example, the first reading is the Assyrian-Babylonian Epic of Gilgamesh, which includes a flood narrative like Genesis 6.5-8.19 in the Hebrew Bible, and the last reading of the first-year sequence is Dante’s Divine Comedy, which synthesizes Christian beliefs with Greek and Roman philosophical and epic traditions.  

  • This is a rigorous, inter-disciplinary sequence, in which faculty members from a variety of disciplines participate including ancient Mediterranean studies, history, philosophy, and religious studies. 

  • Humanities 101-102 count toward a major or minor in ancient Mediterranean studies. 

In the second year: 

  • Humanities 201 follows the evolution of ideas from the early modern period to the present through the works of major thinkers, writers, and artists, such as Machiavelli, Shakespeare, Kant, Mary Shelley, Marx, Freud, DuBois, and DeBeauvoir. 

  • Sections of Humanities 201 follow a more topical approach. Past courses have included: Slavery and Capitalism, Monsters and the Body Politic, The Classical Tradition, Environmental Humanities and Disaster, Utopias and Dystopias, Modernity and Freedom, Humans and the Natural World. 

  • Faculty members who offer sections of Humanities 201 come from a number of academic disciplines such as ancient Mediterranean studies, English, history, modern languages, music, philosophy, political science, and religious studies.  

  • Humanities 201 counts toward the majors in the Department of History and Department of Ancient Mediterranean Studies.  

Students who choose Search will enroll in: 

  • Humanities 101 (HUM 101) in the fall semester of their first year, 

  • Humanities 102 (HUM 102) in the spring semester of their first year, and 

  • Humanities 201 (HUM 201) usually in the fall semester of their second year. 

Cultural Knowledge. Greek and Roman Studies 110-111

In the first year, the program:

  • explores varied communication strategies utilizing an eclectic range of texts including biblical works.
  • is taught by members of the Ancient Mediterranean Studies department.

The student who chooses Cultural Knowledge will:

  • take AMS 110 in the Fall semester of the first year,
  • take AMS 111 in the Spring semester of the first year, and
  • take AMS 210 in the Fall semester of the second year. 

History through the Bible. History 101 and 102

In the first year, the program:

  • investigates how people across time and within a wide range of diverse cultural contest have engaged with Jewish and Christian sacred texts to make meaning and value in their world. 
  • focuses on specific themes or topics, such as: "Women in the Bible", "War and Peace in the Bible", "The Bible and Environmental issues", "Asia and Asian/American experiences with the Bible", "African-American encounters with the Bible".
  • is taught by members of the History department.

The student who chooses History through the Bible will: 

  • take HIST 101 in the Fall semester of the first year,
  • take HIST 102 in the Spring semester of the first year, and
  • take a third designated History F1 course at any time in the remaining three years of the student's college career.  







RELS 101​

HUM 101​

AMS 110​

HIST 101​


RELS 102​

HUM 102​

AMS 111​

HIST 102​

3rd ​
(Fall Year 2 for many)​

Any 200+ level F1*​

HUM 201​


-OR- any 200+ level F1​

200-level AMS F1​


HUM 201​

200+ level​


via the Tree​
for all courses​


for Spring Y1​

via instructor**​
for Spring Y1​

via the Tree​
for all courses​

<go to top>

Sexual Harassment and Sexual Misconduct

What do I do if a student reports behavior that may indicate sexual harassment or sexual misconduct?

Rhodes is committed to providing a working, educational, social, and residential environment for all members of our College community, including all faculty, staff, and students, that is free from any form of sexual harassment and sexual misconduct. Students reporting that sexual harassment or sexual misconduct may have taken place should be encouraged to report the conduct using the online sexual misconduct form.  Faculty and staff shall notify the student that they are mandatory reporters and are required to share the report with the Title IX Coordinator, Inez Warner and then use the online form to submit the report. 

The online form can be found in the upper right-hand corner of the Rhodes Express webpage or on any page of the Title IX microsite: https://sites.rhodes.edu/titlenine.

When responding to students who have reported sexual harassment or sexual misconduct: make sure you’re in a safe, private space; know that silence is okay and give the student time; affirm their choice to report and reassure them that it is not their fault; let them know about on and off campus resources; ask them what support they need from you; avoid language that is judgmental or assumes anything about their experience; do not promise confidentiality.  

For faculty and staff frequently asked questions, please visit https://sites.rhodes.edu/titlenine/facultystaff-faq 


<go to top>

Transfer Credit

A student must earn at least 50 percent of these credits at Rhodes. The senior year, defined as 32 credits or the last 25 percent of the total credits required, must be spent in residence. No more than eight (8) of these credits may be transfer credits.

Rhodes students may enroll in courses at other colleges and universities and transfer credits to Rhodes. A student who desires to have academic work transferred from another institution must have the work approved in advance by the appropriate academic department chairperson at Rhodes and by the Registrar. Courses not receiving prior approval may not be accepted for transfer credit at the discretion of the department chair and the Registrar.

Transfer credit may not be used to satisfy a Foundation Requirement. Rhodes students who study abroad in a long-term program that has been pre-approved through the Buckman Center for International Education will normally satisfy the F11 requirement, unless the program has been noted by the Center’s Director as particularly unsuitable for this purpose.

<go to top>

Withdrawal from a Class

When may a student withdraw from a class?

Students withdrawing from a course between the beginning of the fourth week and the end of the eleventh week of a semester will receive a grade of W (withdrew). Students withdrawing from a course between the 6th day and the 18th day of a 5-week summer session will receive a grade of W. 

Is it possible to withdraw from a class after the eleventh week of the semester?

The request to withdraw from a class after the stated deadline requires the approval of the Standards & Standing Committee in addition to the approvals of the instructor and the student’s faculty adviser. The Committee will hold fast to the deadline for withdrawal requests and will only entertain late requests based on extenuating circumstances. The extenuating circumstances must justify both the lateness of the request and the withdrawal itself.

Students are expected to continue to attend classes until there is official notice that the request for withdrawal from class has been approved. No request for withdrawal from a class will be considered after the last day of classes.

Does a withdrawal from a class impact a student′s GPA?

The W grade is not computed in the student’s grade point average.


Withdrawal from the College

When may a student withdraw from the College?
A student may withdraw from the College if the student knows that they do not plan to return. The student will receive all W grades if they withdraw by the last day of classes of the semester; otherwise, final grades will be recorded. Students who decide to withdraw from the College, either during or at the end of a semester, must contact the Dean of Students office in order to initiate the withdrawal process. A letter of withdrawal must be filed with Student Life and the entire withdrawal process completed before the student can be officially withdrawn from the College.

What is a mid-semester withdrawal?
A student who needs to withdraw from all classes for personal or medical reasons but wishes to return to Rhodes can apply for a mid-semester withdrawal. The student must submit medical documentation in support of the withdrawal from an appropriate health provider within 10 business days of the submitting an application for medical withdrawal. The student will meet with a member of the student success team, and the application will be processed through the Standards & Standing Committee.

It is generally expected that a student who withdraws during a semester will be placed on a Leave of Absence the following semester in order to have sufficient time to address the issues that led to the withdrawal. A student can do a mid-semester withdrawal until the last day of classes in any semester. 

Go to this website for more information.