Archandria Owens, Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist, Associate Director

Archandria Owens

Email: owensa@rhodes.edu
Phone: (901) 843-3128

Education
Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX
Master of Arts, Clinical Psychology, University of Detroit-Mercy, Detroit, MI
Doctor of Philosophy, Counseling Psychology, University of Memphis, Memphis, TN

Professional interests
Though I work with clients with a variety of presenting concerns, including depression, anxiety, adjustment issues, identity development, and relationship concerns, my specific specialties include working with clients experiencing racial trauma, grief and loss, those who are survivors of childhood and family trauma, and those with religious and spiritual concerns.  My commitment to issues of diversity and multiculturalism are present in my approach to these clinical concerns and embedded in the tapestry of my lived experience and how I move in the world, in my clinical work, and in my professional life outside of the walls of the counseling center.  I am a member of the American Group Psychotherapy Association, the American Psychological Association, and the Memphis Area Psychological Association.

Approach to therapy
I firmly believe that humans can only change in relationship with others and within the reflective mirrors that others offer us about who we are and what we are worth.  Research bears this out as well and tells us that the most important factor in helping clients move towards growth and change is the therapeutic relationship.  This is a reciprocal and collaborative process between myself and my client, which means that I absolutely must be open, authentic, present, and vulnerable in the ways that I am inviting my clients to be.  It also means that I get the opportunity and the honor to journey alongside clients in engaging their own growth and change process.

Approach to Wellness 
In a world that is so ready to label, diagnose, place things in binary terms, and say what is “normal” or not, I believe wellness to be incredibly important in seeing ourselves and others as whole beings that need to be nourished across our entire lived experience.  This means that in all my interactions with my clients and within myself, I am promoting growing awareness around needs and a greater understanding of how to meet these needs from a holistic perspective.

Approach to Fun
I really enjoy spending time with and having dance parties with my family, having dinners with my girlfriends, serving my community, and reading a variety of books.  I love to sing and journal, and appreciate all things creative and expressive.  I am consistently looking for beautiful things to be a part of or see or do.