Student Health Insurance FAQs

When is the deadline to waive the coverage or opt-in/enroll in the coverage?

The annual enrollment deadline is September 29, 2023. The Spring/Summer enrollment deadline is February 14, 2024.

What are the effective and termination dates of coverage?

Annual: August 1, 2023 - July 31, 2024

For new incoming students: Spring/Summer: January 1, 2024 - July 31, 2024

What if I am an International Student?

Please refer to the International Programs website for information regarding health insurance available to International Students.

Where can I review policy details before I enroll?

Policy brochures for schools can be found by visiting https://www.uhcsr.com/rhodes. The 2023-24 benefit plan can be found here. In the Medical-Student Plan section, you can click Explore Policy and find our school’s brochure and flyers. The documents are stored as Adobe Acrobat .pdf files for easy reading and/or printing.

What if I missed the waiver deadline but still need to waive the insurance?

If you have missed the waiver deadline, you will be automatically enrolled in the student health plan. Once enrolled, coverage cannot be canceled or refunded unless eligibility requirements are not met or through entry into the armed forces.

Can I enroll later if I do not enroll in the student insurance plan during the open enrollment period?

You can only enroll in the plan during the designated open enrollment period. The exception to this is if you have a Qualifying Life Event (QLE). To enroll due to a Qualifying Life event, please Contact Us.

What is a Qualifying Life Event?

Students who did not enroll themselves or their dependent(s) during the open enrollment period may be able to enroll in the policy if they experience a QLE. See below:

Qualifying Life Events include:

• Marriage/Civil Union
  • Divorce
  • Adoption of a child/birth of a child
  • Guardianship appointment
  • Expiration of benefits/loss of coverage under another policy

If you and/or your dependents meet the requirements for a QLE, you will need to provide the following:

• Proof of QLE/proof of involuntary loss of coverage
  • QLE enrollment form
  • Payment

All documents and payments must be received within 30 days of the QLE. After 30 days, the student or dependents will no longer be eligible to enroll in the plan until the fall of the following school year.

Am I still covered if I have student health insurance but drop out of school? If not, will I get a refund?

Insured students who withdraw from school after the first 31 days of the policy period remain enrolled in the plan for the entire period for which the premium was paid. Refunds are only made when an insured student enters the U.S. Armed Forces or if eligibility requirements are unmet.

Does my coverage expire upon graduation?

Your coverage continues to the end of the period you paid the required premium. So, if you graduate early (i.e. December 2023), your coverage continues until the expiration date of the paid-for policy period on July 31, 2024.

Where can I go for questions about the student health plan?

Visit: https://www.uhcsr.com/rhodes

Email: customerservice@uhcsr.com

Call: 1-800-505-4160, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Central Standard Time