Barret Library, a state-of-the-art facility made possible by a major gift from the Paul Barret, Jr. Trust, opened in August 2005. Paul Barret, Jr., a graduate of the class of 1946 who died in 1999, was the nephew of Mr. and Mrs. A.K. Burrow, who provided for the construction of the 1953 Burrow Library. The facility features a 24-hour study space and group study rooms, along with facilities for digital media and library collections. The Information Technology department, a joint division with library services, is on the bottom floor of the building. Information Technology supports all campus-wide technology needs and provides computer assistance for faculty and students.
Also included in the Barret Library are areas for peer-tutoring and writing assistance, computer laboratories, the Digital Media Lab and Media Center. In addition to the reference and circulating collections there are four special collections: the Rhodes Archives, the Richard Halliburton Collection, the Walter P. Armstrong, Jr. Book Collection and the Shelby Foote Collection, made possible through the generosity of Riea and Steve Lainoff.