In September 2018, the Rhodes College President’s Cabinet approved the creation of an IS governance process and a committee to administer it. The committee has two primary charges:
- IS Project Review and Approval: To provide the review, prioritization and approval of proposed IS projects and to advise on data usage and reporting for the College. IS Projects over certain cost and effort thresholds are subject to the IS governance process (approximately $10,000 or greater, or more than 200 person-hours, or with significant impact to the business or to campus life).
- Institutional Effectiveness Data Advisory: To provide guidance on questions of data usage and reporting, fulfilling a primary accreditation principle of ongoing researched-based planning and evaluation.
IS Project Review Process
The IS governance committee (ISGC) will promote the submission of IS project requests through submitted business cases and approved according to the following review process:
- College divisions/departments and/or Information Services needing approval for IT initiatives present the Rhodes Senior Leadership Team (SLT) with a completed draft of their business case form that will serve as the project proposal. (NOTE: Information Services staff can advise other departments on completing the business case).
- The Business Case/Project Proposal form must be signed by the VP over the division that is making the recommendation. As needed, the VP can bring the form to the SLT for more discussion before signing off (a pre-approval process).
- Once signed by the VP, the form can then be sent to the ISGC.
- ISGC reviews proposals, which may benefit from separate strategic, data and security reviews.
- ISGC votes whether to recommend projects to the SLT for final project acceptance and funding approval.
- If approved, project proposals continue to IS for project charter and scheduling.
- ISGC conducts follow-up evaluations of the project success and goal accomplishments.
2022 ISGC Membership:
- Richie Trenthem, Committee Chair (Interim CIO, Director of Academic Technologies, Information Services)
- Jacob Church (Director of Enrollment Services)
- Darlene Brooks (Director of the Barret Library)
- Melissa Campbell (Director of Academic & Learning Resources, Student Life)
- Kathleen Cates (Assoc. Comptroller, Finance)
- Kerry Connors (Sr. Director of Annual Giving, Alumni and Development)
- Timothy Huebner (Associate Provost, Academic Affairs)
- Justin McGregor (Director of Communication for Digital Services)
- Michael Morgan (Director of Financial Aid)
- Stacy Pennington (Director of Infrastructure, Information Services)
- Leigh Powell (Business Systems Analyst, Human Resources)