Community Service Student Employment

Rhodes has expanded its student employment opportunities to include a variety of off-campus options with non-profit agencies! These opportunities are limited to those students who have applied for financial assistance and been awarded a Federal Student Employment Award (FWS). To check your eligibility, refer to your bannerweb award offer or email and request this information. 

These jobs will be at off-campus sites and will require that the students have adequate transportation to and from their assigned jobs. To record you work hours you will be using a Time Sheet. For more information about using a time sheet, please refer to Recording Work Hours.

All students need to apply for financial assistance in order to seek qualification for the Federal Student Employment Program. If you are offered Federal Student Employment as part of your financial assistance you will then want to apply to the Community Service position on You will then be prompted to choose three areas from the list below that you would like to work with and will be contacted with follow up information by someone in the Bonner Center for Faith and Service. If hired, you will need to follow the instructions on the Financial Aid Hiring Process page. 

What do I need to know about Community Service Work?

  • The standard award is $2,000/year.
  • Work is limited to 10 hours/week.
  • You’ll be paid bi-weekly by Rhodes.
  • Student Employment is defined as financial aid—your earnings are considered part of your overall financial aid package.
  • Student employees are subject to tax laws and other employment regulations.
  • Your actual earnings are contingent upon your job placement and hours worked, reported via regular employment procedures at Rhodes.
  • You must fill out a CSL Agreement for your desired work site and turn this form into Rhodes Express before you begin work. This form requires signatures from the working student and the Community Service Work Site supervisor.
  • Checks are issued to student employees, but you can set up Direct Deposit.
  • Student Employment may not defer payment of Rhodes fees.
  • Federal Student Employment is limited to students who demonstrate financial need on the FAFSA.
  • You’ll be required to complete the INS I-9 form and supply identification documents before beginning work. These documents must be supplied in person.
  • You must work with the Community Service Office to report your hours worked weekly.