This large sculpture of Charles Edward Diehl was created by Ted Rust. Ted Rust (formally Edwin C. Rust) was the director of the Memphis College of Art from 1949 to 1975 and led the school during formative stages. Charles E. Diehl served as president from 1917 to 1948. During his years the College built a new campus in Memphis and moved from Clarksville, Tennessee to Memphis in 1925. This memorial statue stands in Diehl Court in front of Burrow Hall.