Interested in Teaching English Overseas?
You should enroll in the Rhodes College TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) Certification Course!
This year-long course will prepare future teachers of English as a foreign language to teach English to non-native speakers of English in cross-cultural settings, either in the US or abroad. Students will learn core TEFL elements, such as student-centered teaching, the role of the teacher, language teaching and assessing methodologies, and the role of culture in the classroom through both classroom instruction and practicum hours.
This course provides 150 hours of TEFL instruction and practical training in a “2+2” format of study (EDUC 160 is a two-credit course in the Fall and EDUC 161 is a two-credit course in the Spring). Students completing both EDUC 160 and 161 with a grade of B- or higher will be presented with Rhodes College’s “150 Hour TEFL Certification” and Educational Studies’ “K-12 ESL Endorsement.” Both EDUC 160 and 161 satisfy F11 and Latin American Studies elective credit.
TEFL Job Tips
- Most jobs teaching English abroad require a TEFL Certificate, at least. (Beware of jobs that don't require this - make sure you do good research on the job, location, site, etc., to avoid being scammed.)
- The TEFL Bridge website is just one of many organizations or companies which offer information about becoming certified and job listings.
- If the job looks too good to be true, it generally is.
- Beware of "fairy dust" jobs: those that pay incredibly well in-country, but amount to little when trying to move away because of the actual currency value.
- "Dave's ESL Cafe" is a good place for ESL/EFL resources, but be cautious of the job boards there... they aren't monitored very well, which means that there are plenty of the kinds of jobs, mentioned above, posted there.
- TEFL certification is usually around $500 - $1500 depending on the level of certification. Paying more for this is likely a scam, and be aware there are less expensive, yet still reliable, programs available.
Other Job Boards
Here are some websites for teaching jobs abroad. As you will notice, many of the teaching jobs are located in Asia, but it's not exclusive to there.