Rhodes maintains site-wide licenses for the following software tools, making them available at no cost to all current students and employees.
- SensusAccess is a tool that converts PDFs and other digital materials into accessible formats. Simply upload a document, choose an output method, and the converted document will be sent to your Rhodes email address within 10 minutes. For example, you could convert a PDF file into a text file, audio file, or e-book format.
- For more help on using SensusAccess, check out the following resources.
Kurzweil Learning Software
Kurzweil is an assistive technology research-based resource designed to enhance learning. It is especially helpful for multisensory, visual and auditory learners by offering text-to-speech, speech-to-text, and study/writing tools. Kurzweil is cloud-based and accessible from your tablet, smart phone, or personal computer.
- Text-to-Speech, with customizable reading rate and presentation
- 31 natural Text-to-Speech voices for reading electronic documents, Word, PDF, EPUB, RTF, Daisy, and on the Web
- Ability to take a picture of a document and convert to accessible, readable PDF
- Magnify text, control background and text color
- Map ideas with Brainstorms and Graphic Organizers
- Template outlines, word prediction feature, and word lists
- Bibliography in MLA8 and APA format
- One-click access to dictionary and synonym tools
- Note tools to create Sticky Notes and Voice Notes
- Highlight key text structures with multiple colored highlighters, circle text
- Create Study Guides and Column Notes
- Online reference tools
Sign Up & Get Started
Using your Rhodes email address, follow the steps below to sign up for your own account. For technical support, contact Kurzweil online or at 800-894-5374.
Choose the version you want and download.
- Web-based version of Kurzweil/Firefly and Firefly App for iPad (search Apple App Store for “Firefly”), or
- Download the Kurzweil desktop version to your personal computer
Help & User Guides
- Technical Support is provided directly by Kurzweil online or at 800-894-5374
- Getting Started Guides & Full Training Materials
- Kurzweil Academy- Online Help & Training (there is a video for everything!)
- Use speech recognition and Speech to Text added to Kurzweil 3000 for Windows
- Watch a brief video on Kurzweil/Firefly features