INTERESTED IN BECOMING A PEER COACH?
Peer academic coaching is one-on-one mentoring to help students better their organizational skills, time management, and study skill development for their coursework. The one-on-one meetings pair a more experienced learner with a student who wishes to further develop his or her learning skills. Meetings can be one time or repeated weekly. Please note that it is NOT tutoring in a content area or specialized strategies for learning and attentional disorders.
WHAT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITIES?
Peer coaches assist students with a variety of general academic skills including time management, learning strategies, study strategies, note-taking, goal-setting, and organization skills.
- Peer coaches meet with students via scheduled individual meetings (30-45 minutes). In these meetings, peer coaches help students use their time more efficiently, develop habits and strategies to be more effective in and out of the classroom, and connect students to academic resources.
- Peer coaches design and facilitate workshops on differing academic skills for students each semester.
- Peer coaches provide tips and share resources via social media.
We are looking for students who are passionate about helping their peers. We want mature, successful, and enthusiastic students at Rhodes.
WHAT IS THE PAY?
It is $10 per hour for up to 7 hours per week.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS?
Students interested in applying to be a peer coach should meet all of the following requirements.
- Be available to be a peer coach for one full academic year (Fall 2022 & Spring 2023).
- Be available for training meetings in the Spring 2022 semester and during welcome week prior to the Fall 2022 semester.
- Be able to dedicate up to 7 hours a week to this position. Hours will fluctuate depending on the number of appointments and workshops.
- Be available for up to 3 student meetings plus weekly supervision and/or staff meetings.
- Have a cumulative GPA of a 3.0 or higher.
- Not work concurrently as an RSA or hold other work or leadership positions that do not allow for full commitment to this position.
Preference will be given to students who have been at Rhodes for at least two full semesters. First-year students are eligible to apply.
WHAT IS THE HIRING PROCESS?
Complete the student leadership application in December or January. After reviewing applications, we will contact students to schedule interviews. Please contact Jennifer Soler-Rodriguez with questions..