Replacement of Lost, Stolen, or Damaged I-20, Passport, I-94 or F1-Visa

Contact the Buckman Center immediately if anything should happen to your documents. If these documents should become damaged, lost, or stolen, you should arrange to replace them as soon as possible.

I-20 Form

You must request a replacement I-20 from the Buckman Center. 

You are required by law to keep your initial I-20 safe and in good condition. This document contains your initial date of entry into the United States in F-1 status.  You are also required to keep safe any new I-20s that are issued to you, such as for changing your major, transferring schools, etc.  If your current I-20 is lost, stolen or damaged, you must request a replacement I-20 from the Buckman Center immediately.

To Request a New I-20:

Please bring the following with you to the Buckman Center:

  • Your passport and I-94 printout
  • Any evidence of your previous I-20 (e.g. a photocopy, remains of damaged I-20, etc.)
  • The form, "Request I-20 Reprint" from the "Related Documents" of the International Students InRhodes page.


You must contact your embassy or consulate in the U.S. to arrange for a new passport. Once your passport is replaced, come to the Buckman Center to make copies to update your file. Please keep in mind that it may take several months for your embassy to replace your passport.


You may print out your I-94 Arrival/Departure Record on this site:

F-1 Visa

You only need your F-1 visa for entering the U.S. If your F-1 visa becomes damaged or is lost or stolen with your passport while you are in the country, it can only be replaced the next time you travel abroad.  While you are abroad, you must apply for a new F-1 visa before you will be allowed to reenter the U.S. in F-1 status.  Please see our section on Renewing Your Visa for instructions. Once your F-1 visa is replaced, come to the Buckman Center after you return to the U.S. to make a copy to update your file.